Advice to young activists from an old one:
- Your family loves you and may react to your activism anywhere from “be careful” to “quit that before you get your ass shot”. They’re not trying to stifle you. They’re just worried about you. Be patient with them.
- Speak your truth but understand your audience. Context is everything
- Be firm yet humble. You know your story but you may not know how to tel it well. That’s where more experienced activists come in. They don’t know your story but they have told theirs, so learn from them how to tel your own
- Know your capabilities but understand your limits. You might not be the leader you think you are, or ought to be, but that doesn’t mean you’re not valued or your contribution is not important. Figure out your piece of the puzzle
- Change will come and if you’re lucky you’ll get to see it.
Palestinian, Muslim, American, Husband, Father, Academic, Pharmacist, Coffee Addict, Nutella phene, Pseudo writer, Soccer player, former Canadian, Community servant, Pinch hitter imam, interfaith ninja, Intellectual vigilante, and the undisputed KING of snark